Sunday, January 30, 2011

Booster Leveling Guide Review

Due to some recent guild drama, I decided to roll a toon on a new server. Unfortuantly, it's been a while since I've leveled a new toon and Cataclysm went and changed up a lot of the quests.

With a little urging from a friend, I decided to try Hexigame's Booster Leveling Guide. I had heard good things about it, but I was always kind've on the fence about using leveling guides.

 I mean, it's not the most honest way to level, right? What would my guildies think if they found out?

After reading a Booster Leveling Guide Review, I decided to take the plunge. Before, I had been worried about other people's opinions, but what did that really matter? No one has to know, and personally I don't find anything wrong with leveling with a guide! I think it's more fun.

I've been leveling my mage now for about two weeks using the Booster Leveling Guide, and I've been really impressed by the difference that it made in my leveling speed.

Mages aren't the easiest class to play. "Glass Cannon" would have to be the first thing that comes to mind.

The Booster Leveling Guide is designed to work with any build or race that you choose, and it will also automatically take care of the talent points you receive every level. Using the guide, I was able to make sure I was following the right talent path to ensure success in both PvP and PvE environments.

The big difference in my leveling speed, however, comes from the actual leveling addon. The Booster Leveling Guide takes care of keeping track of all the quests I should (or shouldn't) be doing, and it loads ingame as a friendly arrow above my toon's head.

Basically, I don't really have to think about leveling anymore. I follow the arrow and do what the guide says and the EXP/hour just keeps racking up. The instructions for each quest is displayed in a nice little window that I can drag to wherever I like, which is pretty nice since I can be a little OCD about my screen layout.

As I rack up exp, there's also a nice little EXP counter that will tell me exactly how much EXP/hour I'm earning at any given moment. It sounds silly, but it's actually really fun! It helps me keep on-task instead of getting distracted at the Auction House or with guildies.

The best part of the guide actually has very little to do with the leveling guide addon, however. For me, the most beneficial part of the Booster Leveling Guide is the class guide tutorials that come with it. There's something like 150+ videos (I haven't watched all of them) dedicated to showing you the best and most efficient way to play a class.

I'm not exactly a newbie, I've been playing for a few years now. Even so, I never realized how much I didn't know about this game and the classes I was playing. I always roll on PvP servers, and most of my PvP experience is just luck of the draw -- who casts first, who has the element of surprise, who has the better equipment.

I like PvP servers because they seem more "real" to me, but I wasn't the best player. You could see that in my (lack of) kills. Thanks to the Booster Leveling Guide, I have become both a MUCH better PVPer and a much better raider.

In short, this guide has really changed my playing experience! Leveling is so much easier when it's brainless, and I think anyone remotely interested in PvPing (or raiding... or just even leveling faster) can really find something to be amazed by in their class guide videos. They're all high-def, too, so it's easy to see what's going on unlike watching youtube tutorials.